zurnal24 Forumzurnal24.info

Forum / General Talk9

Is It Advisable For ESL Students To Hire Only ESL Writers?

Antarch    3 | 49   Freelance Writer
Jul 08, 2014 | #1
Assuming there are obvious stylistic differences in the writing of native and non-native English speakers, is it not in the best interest of international students to rely exclusively on ESL writers? Since I started academic writing, I have done work for several clients from countries such as Saudi Arabia, Singapore, Malaysia, Nigeria, and the like. I have often had cause to 'tone down' my writing and language usage based on my assessment of specific students' fluency.

Bear in mind that, in addition to primary concerns such as plagiarism and the quality of the overall work, most ESL students have to worry about avoiding suspicion by their lecturers that a paper might have been ghostwritten. Since students ordinarily undertake loads of coursework and exams throughout their programme, a lecturer might detect inconsistencies in their writing/work - with potentially dire consequences for the student. Is it not advisable, then, for ESL students to seek help from competent ESL writers who are better able to adapt their writing to the particular student's specification or standard? Any thoughts?
writers2beware 41 | 2,024 ☆☆☆☆  
Jul 08, 2014 | #2
One can "dumb down." One cannot "smart up."

There's your answer.
lovecraft 1 | 94   Freelance Writer
Jul 08, 2014 | #3
I've done quite a few papers for ESL and international clients, primarily though an essay service. In many instances, however, I have declined to apply for or accept orders from ESL clients specifically for the issues you raise. I have often found it quite challenging to "tone down" my writing to make it appear as if it was written by an ESL writer, and to meet an appropriate page count when trying to limit my vocabulary.In order to write quickly, efficiently and effectively I have to work with a certain degree of automaticity, and pretending to be an ESL writer simply slows me down too much.
graphophobius 7 | 578   Freelance Writer
Jul 08, 2014 | #4
is it not in the best interest of international students to rely exclusively on ESL writers?

"Exclusively" relying on anything is a bad idea.
FreelanceWriter    5 | 1,297 ☆☆☆☆   Freelance Writer
Jul 08, 2014 | #5
In order to write quickly, efficiently and effectively I have to work with a certain degree of automaticity, and pretending to be an ESL writer simply slows me down too much.

Exactly. The higher the level of your natural writing style and the better your command of vocabulary the more it slows you down to write more simply at the ESL level.

One can "dumb down." One cannot "smart up."

This is also true, meaning a versatile ENL-writer can always write at a lower level if required, but an ESL-writer whose writing is characteristically and recognizably ESL cannot produce ENL-sounding original work at any price.
Academic Expert101 - | 36   Freelance Writer
Aug 06, 2014 | #6
I agree.
Smiley73 3 | 353 ☆☆  
Sep 02, 2017 | #7
I am an advocate of the the idea that ESL students will greatly benefit in terms of writing services if they hire ESL writers. This provides them with an easy "cover" with their professors in terms of their writing abilities and also, ensures that they will be able to get during the semester with someone else writing their paper for them. It will be a bane on the ENL writers to have to dumb down their writing for the benefit of an ESL client. ESL students will also be able to avoid requesting for revisions that are based on "English speaking" style problems. I have had to reject order requests and assignments from ESL students who request that an ESL writer be assigned to their paper of that ESL style writing be used in the paper. It is extremely difficult for ENL writers to sound like an ESL student. Mostly because ENL writers develop, process, and produce papers for clients at a higher level than that of an an ESL student.
RandomRandom    4 | 40   Freelance Writer
Nov 05, 2017 | #8
Honestly, I would say it is actually a very difficult task to dumb down something. I'm speaking as an ESL writer. It takes longer than writing in my usual writing style and I have to constantly think about the choice of words and phrases. I also think there are levels to ESL writing. In my experience, the clients who require me to dumb down their writing are often from China. I think it is because the Chinese clients I have worked with have only had a year or two writing, reading, and speaking in English. ESL speakers and writers who have had more time with the language usually do not ask for papers to be dumbed down. However, I still think that if they hired an ENL writer, the chances of being found out by their lecturers or instructors increase. Some institutions also allow students to proofread their work and consult when it comes to grammar and require them to submit work that is grammar free (even if they are ESL). Other institutions will not even check for grammar (again for ESL students, depending o the material). In some cases, the instructor/lecturer will not take out marks for some grammar errors but will advise the student to correct them in the future. I have worked with students where at least one of those cases was applicable. I would say it is not always possible to dumb down your writing.

About writing at a higher level, I would say that one cannot a paper at a higher level on the first try. For example, if a student asked me to write using vocabulary more sophisticated than what I'm used to and wanted the paper within 12 hours, then it would be better for me to decline. However, over time, the level of writing can improve greatly. I don't think I write the same way I did two years ago. I am sure there has been some improvement. Again, I don't think I will write the same way in two years --my writing will be by far better. I am not in any way suggesting that the improvement is automatic. It takes a lot of dedication, reading, practice.
FreelanceWriter    5 | 1,297 ☆☆☆☆   Freelance Writer
Nov 06, 2017 | #9
It always takes me longer to write anything different from my natural voice; but if you tell me to keep it as simple as possible, I write shorter, less complex sentences. I can also purposely add some imperfections for ESL clients if desired. I'd say the more important issue is never to mix your writing with that of any professional writer for any professor who's already familiar with your writing. As long as all your submissions are consistent for the whole course, it shouldn't be a problem.
Extremely experienced, honest, versatile American writer in NYC with a Law Degree from NYLS: Visit NYCFreelanceWriter "dot" com

Forum / General Talk / Is It Advisable For ESL Students To Hire Only ESL Writers?

Need Help? ➰
CLOSE
THE BEST FREELANCE WRITERS [4]:
Legitimate Academic Freelance Writers!
THE BEST WRITING SERVICES [5]:
Legitimate Academic Research Services!

RECOMMENDED SERVICES:
- (coupon: GW10)
- (coupon: Best7)
VERIFY WRITER PROFILE:
Verify a freelance writer profile:
Check for a suspicious Twitter profile: