zurnal24 Forumzurnal24.info

Forum / General Talk20

How can a student trust a writing company or a writer to try out a service?

Albert Rio 1 | 3   Observer
Oct 14, 2017 | #1
How can you trust a company or an individual if I ever want to try out a service.
FreelanceWriter    5 | 1,315 ☆☆☆☆   Freelance Writer
Oct 14, 2017 | #2
Just try out whichever provider you think sounds the most credible and always start out with a small project and long deadline before you trust anybody with a larger project and/or short deadline.
writer4life - | 30   Freelance Writer
Oct 14, 2017 | #3
always start out with a small project and long deadline before you trust anybody with a larger project and/or short deadline.

If they have Live Chat, I also recommend discussing the project and asking questions via chat, as well. You can often tell some about the company by the language of its chat reps (look for language that hints possible ESL). Of course, we're all prone to err so a typo here and there shouldn't be a turn off. Still, you can tell a great deal by chatting for at least -10 minutes. And if they seem hesitant to answer your questions, that is a red flag. If you have a lot of questions, they may direct you to their website to review FAQ or their terms, but overall, they should be willing to engage and provide valuable information in a language that illustrates the quality of those with whom the company works. In my experience, if a company hires poor service reps, they can't expect potential clients to assume anything less than that their writers are likely poor as well. <--- Not a given rule, just my experience. :)
writologist 2 | 30   Freelance Writer
Oct 16, 2017 | #4
How can you trust a company or an individual if I ever want to try out a service.

As for an individual, you could have them produce half the paper first, make half the payment if pleased with the work, allow them to complete the paper--then top up the remaining cents.

In the case of an essay service/company, it is usually difficult to trust them as they will demand full payment before any work can begin. They will then assign one of their writers, mostly ESL writers--who will churn out just any paper for the sake of it. Your paper may be revised, but a ****** writer is a ****** writer. Nothing much can come out of it. Be wise and engage directly with your writer--its the best policy.

I am a writer for hire, BTW... Just in case you were looking for one. Cheers :)
Oct 16, 2017 | #5
As for an individual, you could have them produce half the paper first, make half the payment if pleased with the work, allow them to complete the paper--then top up the remaining cents.

Clearly the advice from someone who has never actually earned a living in this business. Only the most inexperienced new writers who are totally desperate for any work would ever agree to produce half of a project before it's paid and then accept payment after delivery.

If you're a busy writer whose services are already in great demand, you're already bending over backwards to help allay the fears of skittish new clients by allowing someone to prepay for a small section first, because that means you have to sit down twice to work on a project that you could probably bang out in one sitting. At the most extreme, you could even allow them to prepay for ONE page to test your writing and your legitimacy. Busy writers probably don't have the time or patience even to do THAT. But the suggestion to clients that they should expect half a project to be written before making any payment is absolutely ridiculous, unless, as I said, you're a brand new, totally inexperienced writer who really has no other way of getting work.

The other advice from writer4life about website chats isn't much better. Certainly, you should stay away from any site whose reps can barely speak English; but that doesn't necessarily mean that their writers are any good just because the chat operator speaks good English. There are pages and pages on this forum of transcripts with scam companies whose "live chat" operators are pretty good at selling their product with perfect "customer service." Of course, once they have your money, that all changes completely. It doesn't take much to hire 1 or 2 reps who can actually speak English to sell the work of 100 horrible ESL writers whose English is nowhere close to that of the chat operators. The "best" of these rip-off sites actually invest a lot of money into slick-looking websites and reps who are very good at gaining your confidence; they can afford to do that because they either provide nothing in return or they pay their "writers" next to nothing to copy & paste useless "essays."
ProfessorVerb    35 | 837 ☆☆   Freelance Writer
Oct 16, 2017 | #6
Only the most inexperienced new writers who are totally desperate for any work would ever agree to produce half of a project before it's paid and then accept payment after delivery.

Many academic writers are faced with the same predicament that faces lawyers who successfully argue their case without being paid in full in advance.* The immediate reaction to being exonerated is, "Jeez! That was great! How did you get me off when I was clearly guilty?" to the next day's reaction, "Well, he did a pretty good job but anyone else could have done the same." By the week after, the gratitude factor is frequently highly diminished, and most clients agree that, "He was a bum, I could've got myself out of that rap without payin' anyone." Fine. We don't want your gratitude (but we appreciate it). We do want to get paid (in advance) for our hard work.

*Get your expenses before you do anything else ...
Major 39 | 1,379 ☆☆☆☆  
Oct 16, 2017 | #7
Scam writers / foreign research services who could not / cannot compete with native English speakers (or excellent ESL writers) have come up with a 'genius' idea of offering the service in advance. Their assumption is / was that every 4-6 student might be satisfied with their work, so it's still some business model to them. The problem is that the majority of those essays have been written in advance / submitted to anti-plagiarism databases, so they are pretty much useless to those who actually need them.
Oct 16, 2017 | #8
Clearly the advice from someone who has never actually earned a living in this business. Only the most inexperienced new writers who are totally desperate for any work would ever agree to produce.

We all start from somewhere, pal... In my business class, I learn't that the best way to attract a client is to give him/her the best terms of service--which s/he clearly can't get from anywhere else. I understand your astonishment. Every business man has their own approach to making money; to growing and conquering the market. The most unique ideas earns you the most cash, and fastest growth with minimal effort.

Look at the late Steve Jobs (may his soul RIP)... Study his business strategy..Isn't Apple one of the biggest brands we have in the market? Why? [Because Jobs took a different lane from the one taken by HP, Dell, Compaq etc...] To quote him, design is not just what it feel and looks like... design is how it works. What are you offering your clients? Stop running your business by the book... open up your mind to innovative and out-of-the-box strategies or ideas... strategies which no one else in the industry is keen on... Matter of fact, they will be surprised, until they become even more surprised at the success rates of something they looked down on.

I am really curious to learn what you studied in college. You must be among those students who picked just any course... and landed in an Education/English etc class. Courses that don't demand much of the learner. GO back to basics!
wordsies    5 | 256 ☆☆   Freelance Writer
Oct 17, 2017 | #9
My dear fellow. You're trying to invent hot water when it's already been in use for ages. The system used by FW and other well established writers (including myself) is the only reasonable way to do business in this industry. We're not plumbers, or electricians. We can't really go to the client's house and ask for payment, mainly because our client may be living 10 000 miles from our location. I understand that you're new and making your way, but trust me, giving freebies is a one way street to stress, misery and unpaid bills. In 5/6 cases, the clients will take advantage of your own model and either not pay or be completely unreasonable in their demands.
Oct 17, 2017 | #10
The same fear guides the client. "What if I release the money upfront and the writer disappears?" It is no rocket science. Nobody wants to be swindled--neither the writer nor the client. It is also unreasonable on the side of the writer to demand full compensation upfront, because in most cases, I doubt that any writer would be willing to make a refund in the case the client was displeased with their work. Its an utter application of double-standards for the writer to expect the client to trust him/her when s/he can't extend a similar hand of trust towards the client.
Major 39 | 1,379 ☆☆☆☆  
Oct 17, 2017 | #11
The same fear guides the client.

... who may naively hope that saving 10 bucks will get them a Harvard-level, US or UK-based writer. Legitimate writers or research services have no problem refunding money if they have failed to deliver (for reasons beyond their control).

"What if the writer disappears?"

This is, typically, the nature of foreign writers from third-world countries. They, in advance, know they are going to 'disappear' when they realize the order cannot be simply copy-pasted or paraphrased from Wikipedia; that's why, they have created and use dozens of different names and emails. Some legitimate writers have been using the same email account for years and to them an email address is as legitimate / unchangeable as a long-term website.

You appear to be writing from a perspective of a foreign writer, but the quality and legitimacy of a writing service or a freelance writer from one of the Western countries are much different.
Boik    - | 5   Freelance Writer
Oct 18, 2017 | #12
trust is the one link between customers and writers. Unfortunately, many customers do not pay for the order that they receive while some writers fail to meet all requiements. Yet, I believe that both paties should be responsible for their actions. Here, trust is a crucial element
Oct 18, 2017 | #13
Nobody wants to be swindled--neither the writer nor the client.

First, if we're talking about writers who post on this forum, at least the prospective client has the benefit of being able to research those writers' reputations here. There's no such forum where writers can research prospective clients. As Major explained, some of us have been using the same S/N here and email address for many years, so we're much less anonymous to prospective clients than they are to us. We represent an entirely different level of risk than some totally anonymous writer soliciting their business from a random email address or someone with a brand new S/N who signed up here last month.

Some legitimate writers have been using the same email account for years and to them an email address is as legitimate / unchangeable as a long-term website.

Exactly.

Second, nobody has suggested that a client prepay a new writer for an entire major project; I've suggested many times that clients should test out any new writer or company with a very short project or with a small section of a longer project, first.

Third, it is unavoidable that someone will have to take at least some minimal risk on the first transaction: either the client has to trust the writer with payment before delivery or the writer has to trust the client with delivery before payment. This is an unavoidable and obvious fact that also isn't "rocket science." If the client is dealing with a writer or company with an established presence and good reputation on this forum, the client at least knows that the writer or company has a public reputation to protect and an incentive to provide good work.

Fourth, for a client to trust a writer with payment for a couple of pages, the only risk is minimal, especially if the client has already reduced the likelihood of being ripped off by choosing a writer who is well known here rather than a brand new member or some totally anonymous email in the first place. Conversely, if busy writers had to provide work to every new client without being paid first, at best, those writers would have to keep track of every payment owed; at worst, those writers would have to chase after those payments from clients and at least some of them would default on their debt or make ridiculous demands after delivery as conditions of making payment. We get very silly revision requests from inexperienced clients all the time: things like "Hey, I forgot to mention that I was supposed to provide a quote from each of those 6 sources...could you please add them for me?" or "Hey, I forgot to mention that this was supposed to be 5 single-spaced pages and not double-spaced."

The appropriate response to those kinds of requests would be that we're happy to do that for them, but they're going to have to be paid revisions because it takes time to do all that and it wasn't requested in the original project specs. If we allowed payment after the fact, most of those clients would hold onto the entire project payment and refuse to issue payment until that revision was provided for free. There would also be a regular percentage of clients who simply disappeared after receiving their work, undisclosed 3rd parties impersonating students and collecting payment on their end for our work with no intention of ever paying the actual writer, as well as clients who ordered 1 or 2 "test" pages from several different writers with no intention of paying all of them after delivery. It would be impossible to earn a living or the reality (in addition to a lot of wasted time) would be losing maybe 25% of your work to one type of non-paying customer or another. While I retain close to 100% of clients who use me once, I may only end up doing business with half the prospective clients who me for a quote. You can be certain that if I provided writing before payment, many of those prospective clients who end up not hiring me would be more than happy to let me write a few pages for them first, and then try to start negotiating my price down as a condition of receiving the pre-agreed payment for the work already completed at the agreed price.

If you'd already actually been earning a fulltime living doing this kind of work, you'd know that just responding to inquiries, maintaining your schedule, and responding to questions from existing clients already absorbs a tremendous amount of time. I understand that everyone has to start from somewhere. What I'm suggesting to "writologist" is simply that if you're totally new to this business (which is more than obvious from your suggestions), you should really spend a lot more time just reading and learning from those of us who have been earning our living this way since you were in high school or grade school (or maybe even diapers) and a lot less time pontificating about how this business works or how you think it "should" work and dispensing advice that you'll realize is totally impractical and unworkable as soon as you do manage to break into this business in any substantial way.
Oct 20, 2017 | #14
Man, that is such a long response. I feel like paying you. Gimmie your account details I wire some cents your way.

On a serious note though:

I totally understand your sentiments. I was also giving suggestions. They are basically my points of view. Maybe I need to learn a thing or two from you. However, you also need to learn something from my suggestions. But I will be very keen, I promise!
Oct 20, 2017 | #15
Man, that is such a long response. I feel like paying you. Gimmie your account details I wire some cents your way.

No charge. You see, when you actually write fulltime for a living, it isn't really a challenge to just bang out a somewhat comprehensive forum post while you're watching TV in between projects.

Maybe I need to learn a thing or two from you.

No kidding.

However, you also need to learn something from my suggestions.

I'm perfectly open to learning from your suggestions about anything and everything with which you have much more experience than I do, but writing for a living definitely isn't on that list. There's nothing wrong with "out-of-the-box" thinking, provided you already have a basic understanding of what's in the box. You don't and that's plainly obvious to everyone here who does.
Oct 23, 2017 | #16
provided you already have a basic understanding of what's in the box. You don't and that's plainly obvious to everyone here who does.

Well, that's debatable. You are a lawyer as indicated in your post, I presume. As such, you must be privy to the decision-making processes at the courts! When judges write dissenting opinions/majority rulings, it is not because one of either side is uninformed/amateurish... FAR FROM IT.

It is a difference in perspective. A divergence in the method of approach to a common problem/case. As they say, there are numerous methods of killing a cat. Whichever method one uses is not a matter of so much importance... as long as the cat eventually lies on the ground lifeless!

You see, when you actually write fulltime for a living, it isn't really a challenge to just bang out a somewhat comprehensive forum post while you're watching TV in between projects

LMFAO... Okay!
Oct 25, 2017 | #17
When judges write dissenting opinions/majority rulings, it is not because one of either side is uninformed/amateurish... FAR FROM IT.

Judges don't author opinions with laymen who are hoping to break into the law biz but who haven't yet really even worked in the field and whose every utterance only makes that more obvious.
Oct 26, 2017 | #18
Kojoa ulale sasa. Nimechoka ku argue na wewe. Cheers!
Smiley73 4 | 382 ☆☆  
Dec 02, 2017 | #19
Most writing companies these days require their writers to upload samples of their previous work to the server. This is available to the client who is assessing the writer for potential service. The sample work shows you the range of his writing skills as well as the coverage of his academic knowledge / competencies. This is something fairly new to the writing services so some of the older companies may not have adopted it yet.

It is precisely because of the rising concern regarding third rate writers proliferating in the field that a number of these groups were pushed to insist that their writers provide writing samples as part of the writer resume on the company site. This way, the student can decide which writer is closer to his writing "voice" and also, whether or not the writer being considered will be able to accurately perform the job. This is used in accordance with the rating score that appears beside the writer number or profile on the site.

You should find it a lot easier to decide if you can trust the company or individual these days based on the changes they have made to their service consideration guidelines. If the site does not provide this service, I would most likely not consider hiring their services.
Dec 04, 2017 | #20
I never encountered that system as a company writer, but it sounds fantastic: a real benefit to customers and a great way to reward the best writers while also keeping complaints and revision requests to a minimum.
Extremely experienced, honest, versatile American writer in NYC with a Law Degree from NYLS: Visit NYCFreelanceWriter "dot" com

Forum / General Talk / How can a student trust a writing company or a writer to try out a service?

Need Help? ➰
CLOSE
THE BEST FREELANCE WRITERS [4]:
Top Academic Freelance Writers!
THE BEST WRITING SERVICES [5]:
Top Academic Research Services!

RECOMMENDED SERVICES:
- (coupon: GW10)
- (coupon: Best7)
VERIFY WRITER PROFILE:
Verify a freelance writer profile:
Check for a suspicious Twitter profile: