zurnal24 Forumzurnal24.info

Forum / Writing Careers7

Free access to scholarly databases for writers? And some other questions.

braiden992 2 | 1  
Sep 22, 2010 | #1
Having never worked for a large essay writing site, I am curious if most sites provide their writers with free access to scholarly journal databases that they subscribe to on their dime?

Writers DatabaseAlso, I was wondering how the grade guarantees work?....seems like students could easily take advantage of writers.

Also, while there seems to be an underlying debate as to which sites are credible and which aren't, can't we all agree that the more writers the site has, the greater chance that an unfortunate situation will occur. I mean, academic writing is hard work and some of the deadline requests are unrealistic. Plus, if you factor in the absence of face-to-face accountability, which works both ways, then that's always going to increase the overall risk. It seems like most of us work in the industry, which does creates a bias, but the fact people are taking an active interest in their reputation leads me to believe that one of two things is going on.

1. There are more writers than prospective clients (honestly not my case...in fact, I am interested in contracting a good writer to handle my overflow).

2. There is more to this forum than the title suggests...maybe it was created as a way to respond to site bashing

Not really sure why there is so much commotion on here. If people truly want to help out others, they should be able to recommend their own services, or at least explain them, or point them in the write direction. Prospective clients should have the wherewithal to prod suggestions with their own questions. Anyhow, just the thoughts of someone passing through.

Maybe it's worth letting everyone know which site you represent, or otherwise.
Major 39 | 1,367 ☆☆☆☆  
Sep 22, 2010 | #2
I am curious if most sites provide their writers with free access to scholarly journal databases that they subscribe to on their dime?

As far as I know writers use their own tools (including subscriptions to online databases) and companies usually don't provide anything extra.

can't we all agree that the more writers the site has, the greater chance that an unfortunate situation will occur

That is true. ALL sites have at least one unsatisfied client (in reality many more than one ;).

If people truly want to help out others, they should be able to recommend their own services, or at least explain them, or point them in the write direction.

The problem is most 'business owners' have multiple websites (sometimes as many as 200 or more) and many hired 'promoters.' If they were to 'recommend their own services' the site would become garbage.
WritersBeware  
Sep 22, 2010 | #3
The problem is most 'business owners' have multiple websites and many hired 'promoters.'

Exactly.
rustyironchains 12 | 729 ☆☆  
Sep 22, 2010 | #4
sometimes the customer supplies a username and password, which gives access to university websites with EBSCO, Lexis-Nexis, etc. I have never received access directly from an employer-- those databases charge a lot.
WRT 16 | 1,714 ☆☆   Company Representative
Sep 23, 2010 | #5
braiden992
If we're allowed to recommend our services, this forum will become a free-for-all. Everyone of us will go about promoting ourselves at the expense of other companies/writers. Besides (speaking as both a company owner and writer), how would we maintain objectivity? Where both my company and my own research/writing skills are concerned, I am very subjective. Should I (or anybody connected to the company) be asked about our quality of service? No - at best, we will be `selectively' truthful. Should customers be asked and allowed to post recommendations? No, if only because it is extremely easy for site owners/managers to pose as satisfied customers.

As Major wrote above.
dnm - | 14  
Sep 27, 2010 | #6
I work with several large sites and none of them give us access to academic databases, way too expensive. Try to get athens access from your clients.

I was wondering how the grade guarantees work?....seems like students could easily take advantage of writers.

yeah. it gives clients the upper hand. they can have us rewriting over and over till admin steps in.
Smiley73 3 | 353 ☆☆  
Oct 30, 2017 | #7
Having worked for numerous essay writing companies over the past 30 years, I have had various experiences with a few of them who actually try to help the writers by acquiring accounts at places like Questia and JSTOR. The only problem I had with their accounts was that it wasn't really helpful to the writers. Only one writer at a time could access the site because the company did not purchase multiple accounts. In some instances, we had to the point person for the scholarly site, tell him what books or references we needed, then we had to wait for him to get the book, upload it to a specific access site, and only then, could the writer use the article, journal, or whatever. Due to the time consuming method of scholarly journal access, I decided to skip the website sponsored access and just get my own accounts at the same websites. Since the access to the sites were plagued with problems and complaints, the websites eventually decided to end the practice of site sponsored scholarly journal articles.

Forum / Writing Careers / Free access to scholarly databases for writers? And some other questions.

Need Help? ➰
CLOSE
THE BEST FREELANCE WRITERS [4]:
Legitimate Academic Freelance Writers!
THE BEST WRITING SERVICES [5]:
Legitimate Academic Research Services!

RECOMMENDED SERVICES:
- (coupon: GW10)
- (coupon: Best7)
VERIFY WRITER PROFILE:
Verify a freelance writer profile:
Check for a suspicious Twitter profile: