zurnal24 Forumzurnal24.info

Forum / Writing Careers6

Team Laptop or Team PC - what is more beneficial to independent writers?

Smiley73 3 | 353 ☆☆  
Oct 29, 2017 | #1
So, I met with my friends from the biz for a cuppa joe the other day and we got into a discussion about whether or not using a PC or laptop was more beneficial to the independent writers. Those on the side of the PC mentioned the lower cost of purchasing the item, the ability to upgrade the PC hardware without breaking the bank, its ability to perform tasks that could done only on a limited scale on a laptop, and the longer lasting system overall when compared to a laptop.

Being a laptop person myself, I reasoned out that the laptop allowed me to work without being tied down to one spot in my house. Additionally, any power interruptions were best addressed by the laptop since I could create a hotspot for it with my mobile phone. If push came to shove, I always had my trusty pocket wifi to fall back on. In other words, I argued that laptops don't allow for work down time specially during a hot season. As for the task performance, there was always a work around available for those sorts of things. In terms of hardware, my laptops always worked until they reached their end of life cycle of about 6 years. During which time I never hard a desire nor need to upgrade the system. If I knew my laptop could not handle an order, I simply refused to accept it. My laptop, in its many incarnations, never failed me when I was still an academic writer.

What I'd like to know is, what do you guys think? Are you Team Laptop or Team PC?
FreelanceWriter    5 | 1,297 ☆☆☆☆   Freelance Writer
Oct 29, 2017 | #2
Who relies on just one computer? I have more than one in almost every room of my apartment. I've learned that one of the keys to avoiding overuse injuries to my hands, shoulders, and back from the constant writing is to use as many different working stations as possible. I have a bar converted into a standing desk with a CPU underneath, a laptop in front of my living-room couch and another next to a recliner, two on on the desk in my study for projects that require a second screen, and another one in a room that doubles as a library and lounge. I also have an I-Pad for the balcony and bathroom and sometimes, I'll take a laptop out to the balcony, too. Furthermore, most of those stations allow more than one sitting position: right now, for example, I'm straddling the ottoman in front of my couch with the laptop on the ottoman in front of me. Fifteen years ago, I used to carry around a small Casio hand-computer to write on anytime I was in a waiting room or anywhere else where I didn't want to waste time when I could be writing.
Extremely experienced, honest, versatile American writer in NYC with a Law Degree from NYLS: Visit NYCFreelanceWriter "dot" com
OP Smiley73 3 | 353 ☆☆  
Oct 29, 2017 | #3
Hi @FreelanceWriter, I wasn't really asking about how many laptops or computers one should have in order to stay abreast of the job or to stay healthy. I am more interested to find out which type of computer the independent writers prefer as that is what our discussion was all about. That is why I presented all of the considerations we discussed during our selection process. I would like to thank you though. Your post was enlightening. If you don't mind, I'll share your set up with my friends during our next coffee date. It looks like I'll be bringing and starting the discussion this time around.

I only have one laptop because I cart it with me wherever I go along with my trusty tablet and android phone. If one gadget falls asleep, my clients can still reach me for consultation via the other gadget. I prefer the portability the laptop in particular gives me and I've never had to use more than one because I found it was sufficient for my purposes. I never had one break on me in all these years. I actually run it into its final stages of life because I am a person who has preferences for everything. So if I like using one laptop, I will keep using that laptop because I feel comfortable using it, wherever I am or wherever I sit. Different strokes for different folks I guess. Thanks for the tip again. I'm sure my friends will appreciate it too since they refuse to leave the academic writing business even if I keep coaxing them to do so. They have to stay healthy somehow.
wordsies    5 | 250 ☆☆   Freelance Writer
Oct 29, 2017 | #4
I can't write on anything other than my pc. I've tried several times to work from a laptop, didn't sit with me at all. I've modified my workstation so it matches my exact needs - double monitors, mechanical keyboard with two pads for support, a stereo for music while writing and a comfy but sturdy chair. When I'm away from home for longer than a day I'll usually take my laptop with me in case of emergencies, but if I can avoid it, I'll never use it for work.
Major 39 | 1,367 ☆☆☆☆  
Oct 29, 2017 | #5
PC is the way to go (alternatively, a laptop with a regular-size / PC keyboard). Or even better - a laptop with a large monitor and a regular keyboard (but then, other than portability, there's no need using a laptop ;). Plus when something goes wrong with a PC - it's typically easier to repair.
OP Smiley73 3 | 353 ☆☆  
Oct 30, 2017 | #6
It certainly seems like I am on the opposing team even here at ES. In fact, the discussions coming up remind me of the discussions I had with my friends. The reasons being mentioned are the same and they did tell me that I am the one who should shift to "classic technology" because the classics work better than the new technology. One of the reasons that they mentioned was that the PC is cheaper to purchase than a laptop. I begged to differ and told them that the two items are priced the same provided they contain the most current technology. I guess the way I use my laptop is what spells the difference for me. They are constantly updating their hardware and software, while I just keep updating my software. My hardware works fine all the time. Maybe because I am more into the text of things and I don't make my laptop double as a gaming machine. Which they have a tendency to do with their PC's. Also, I did write within a totally different field from them. They were more into computing, spreadsheets, and other mathematical topics while I was more into the scholarly research of things.

Forum / Writing Careers / Team Laptop or Team PC - what is more beneficial to independent writers?

Need Help? ➰
CLOSE
THE BEST FREELANCE WRITERS [4]:
Legitimate Academic Freelance Writers!
THE BEST WRITING SERVICES [5]:
Legitimate Academic Research Services!

RECOMMENDED SERVICES:
- (coupon: GW10)
- (coupon: Best7)
VERIFY WRITER PROFILE:
Verify a freelance writer profile:
Check for a suspicious Twitter profile: